Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Its amazing how you can take walks for granted and not appreciate how beautiful they are. I have been guilty of that but this week has made me realise what I have been missing. Last Friday I revisited a short walk near Quarteira, it was one of my first walks here in the Algarve and I walked in quite frequently but then I dont know why it just got 'shelved'. But looking for some new walks I decided to redo it and oh boy I am so glad I did - it is just fantastic and the Quarteira gorge is a positive oasis of beauty so close to the tourist town of the same name.
Then yesterday 'All Saints Day' I went to rewalk and extend one close to the village of Pera which takes you down to the beach. I knew much of it but I wanted to lengthen it and get a start from a local cafe which I successfully managed but that wasnt the half of it. A new path I took led me down to some creeks, off shoots of the Alcantarilha river and there while I walked musing over a work problem was a lone flamingo wading in the water just below me. As I walked he/she followed and I just had to stop and talk to it (yes, this is the first sign of madness but what a madness!)this was just such a magical moment and eventually a really good walk.